Cornelius Loos in the Ottoman world . Drawings for the King of Sweden 1710-1711. Swedish Research Institute in Istanbul, 2019. Supplement to notes page 61.
Additions to the notes are marked in red.

1

National Museum, Stockholm, NM THC 9100. In addition to the copy preserved in the National Museum, there is another copy preserved in the Harvard University Map collection. Librarian David Weimer has informed us it came to Harvard in 1818 with the collection of German scholar Christoph Daniel Ebeling (1741-1817), who worked for most of his adult life in Hamburg, but obtained the nucleus of his map collection from diplomat and art collector Georg Friedrich Brandes (1709-1791), Hanoverian state secretary for university affairs. Ebeling's collection was bought after his death by American industrialist Israel Thorndike (1755-1832), who donated it to the Harvard University.

2

Translation into English by the author. The text in Swedish reads: "CARTA öfwer ORIENTEN med de därom gräntzande LÄNDER. Hwarest icke allenast många Strömmar samt Gambia och namnkunnige Orter finnes, som på inga andra Cartor äro utsatte, utan och åtskillige Hamnar och Städer till deras Situation rättade emot andra Cartor Giord efter de observationer, som man under resan till dess orter sielf har antecknat, af Cornelius Loos. Major under Forticification. 1711".

3 G. Delisle, Graeciae Antiquae tabula nova in qua locorum situs tum ad distancias itinerarias tum ad observationes astronomicas : pars meridionalis (1707).
4 N. Visscher, Magni Turcarum Domini Imperium in Europa, Asia, et Africa; tam in Proprias, Tributarias, ac Clientelares Regiones quam in omnes ejusdem Beglirbegatus sive Praefecturas Generales accuratissime distinctum (Amsterdam 1690).
5 G. Sanson, Estats de l'Empire du Grand Seigneur des Turcs, en Europe, en Asie, et en Afrique (Paris 1695).
6 A. Birken, "Die Provinzen des Osmanischen Reiches", Beihefte zum Tübinger Atlas des Vorderen Orients, Reihe B, 13 (Wiesbaden 1976), p. 50;
D.Pitcher, An historical geography of the Ottoman empire, from earliest times to the end of the sixteenth century (Leiden 1972), p. 128;Encyclopaedia of lslam, vol. 2 (Leiden 1960), p. 722.
7 beylerbeyilik, from the late 16th century named eyalet.
8

G. Delisle, Carte de la Hongrie et des pays qui en dependoient autrefois (1703).

9 M. Lewy, "From Bender to Jerusalem: Carolinian expeditions as a new source for the history and geography of the land of lsrael at the beginning of the 18th century", Karolinska  förbundets årsbok (1991), p. 24.
10

N. Witsen, Pontus Euxinus of niewe en naaukeurige paskaart van de zwarte zee (Amsterdam 1700-1799).https://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/btv1b5964212f.r/

11

One of the first general maps to represent Burgas is: Antonio Zatta, Turchia d'Europa (1782).

12

Lewy (1991), pp. 23-24.

13

Eusebius of  Caesarea, Onomasticon, counts 986 biblical place-names, the Web BibleEncyclopedia 1172 biblical places. This note refers to the second one of the four characteristics of realistic cartography (page 58, right column, lines 4-5 from bottom).

14 Lewy (1991), p. 22. This refers to the list of the same four characteristics of realistic cartography. The rest of note 14 refers to two different locations. Firstly, ‘Josephs Grotto’, tentatively located north of Lake Tiberias (page 60, left column, line 10): Another proposed location is Tel Dothan ten kilometers southwest of Jenin. C.R. Conder & H.H. Kitchener, Survey of western Palestine: Memoirs of the topography, orography, hydrography and archeology (London 1881-1883), vol. 1, p. 234. Secondly: Solomon’s Wells (same column, line 12): Cornelis de Bruijn, Voyage au Levant, c'est-à-dire dans les principaux endroits de l'Asie Mineure, dans les isles de Chio, Rhodes, & Chypres &c. De même que dans les plus considerables villes d'Egypte, de Syrie, et de la Terre Sainte (Paris 1714), p. 325; A. Badawi, "The basins and aqueduct of Ras-el-Ain near Tyre" in: Archaeology & history in Lebanon, issue 5 (1997).
15

G. Delisle, Carte de l'Egypte, de la Nubie, de l'Abyssinie, etc (1707).

16 K. Barbir, Ottoman rule in Damascus 1708-1758 (Princeton 1980).
17 The fountains have been connected with Elim, one of the camps of the Israelites after Exodus (Exodus 15.27), usually thought to have been located in Wadi Gharandel on the eastern shore of the Red Sea, 100 km southeast of Suez.
  The posthumous map referred to in page 60, right column, first paragraph, is:
Guillaume & Joseph-Nicolas Delisle, Carte particulière de la Syrie comprise entre les villes d'Antioche et Alep, Seyde ou Sidon et Damas. (Paris : Lattré, 1764).
Senast uppdaterad: 2019-10-23
Sidredaktör: Göran Bäärnhielm